• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Gould DC circle mute mark (2).

Started by Chris Weddell, December 11, 2018, 04:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello,

This is the second mute circle mark I am having problems finding ? The censor mark is a Gould 5C40 I think.

Thanks in advance.

Chris 

Tony Walker

Hi Chris

I don't think I can move this forward, but I do have a cover with what I reckoned to be DC10, attached hereto. It has a certain similarity to yours.....  but there are no accompanying  notes in Gould

i also have a couple of Gould's 5C40, one of which has the same censors initials as your cover 2.  Both covers have the London  machine cancel, 3.12.17 and 1.5.16.  It is a distinctive censors mark... isn't it Frank........?

Cheers
Tony

Chris Weddell

Hi Tony,

I have to agree it is about the same as my first cover I posted to day. I thought it may be a DC 10 but i was not sure.

Thank you for the help.

Cheers

Chris

Nick Colley

Hmm, 6 triangular segments arranged in a circle. Nothing like it in Gould, is there. It seems we (ie you) have a new discovery, Chris.  :)

As for the censor's initials, I suspect even the redoubtable Frank might have difficulty deciphering such fussy flamboyance......

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Thanks Nick. I thought it might be a new type. I am still leaning about these marks and i trying to write them up as well !!

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Agree with Nick the mute cancel is not in Gould

In Gould Vol 2 he has 5C40 with ? Marigold

I believe the censors initials are C.L.P,B. those of Lieut RNR Charles G de la Pen Beresford
appt to Marigold 16th Sept 1918

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Frank,

Thank you very much for your help. I could not find the mute cancel either but I am known to miss them! I am going to write up the censor mark as most likely Marigold. I am now looking for a photo or postcard of Marigold.

I have come across this Beresford before ,I think he was a close relation to Admiral Lord Charles Beresford.

Regards

Chris.