• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Location of FPO 138 in April 1943.

Started by Chris Weddell, December 20, 2018, 10:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

One for Mike I think. What was the location of FPO 138 on the 28th of April 1943. I have it as M.E.F.? Also on the same cover is a base office 4 cancel dated for the 29th of April 1943 which was in Egypt.

Cheers

Chris.

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Proud shows it as "EGYPT &/or Palestine" (13.11.41) - (25.5.45)
Chris

Not my strong point unless NW Europe !  However, I'll give it a go !

Entries in a listing presumed taken from official records shows:
4 June 41 issued to 3 Air Formation Postal Unit, MEF
14 Apr 44 In use outside ME Command

Another such listing shows:
4.6.41 - 3 AFPU
31.5.44 - S.2 Div  UK (??? - with pencilled note 52? (meaning 52 Div instead of S.2 Div)

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Thank you for this. I have lost my Proud after letting someone borrow it  >:(. I have had a look at all my books on Egypt and Palestine and cannot find it mentioned. To name but a few books, John Davis Part 1 and Michael Sacher's book on Mandate Palestine which is one of my bibles for WW1 and some WW2 apo and fpo numbers. However when looking on the net I found a story about someone in the R.E.P.S. who worked in the G.H.Q. P.O.  at Cairo and then was working with the 3 AFPU in Egypt and worked sometimes in the desert with 3 AFPU.

Cheers

Chris  :)

Michael Dobbs

Chris

It would be useful if there was a War Diary held at the National Archives for 3 AFPU, but I've done a quick search and nothing has come up.  However, it all depends on how it is indexed, thats why I prefer to sdearch the paper indicies rather than the electronic index!  Next time I go, I'll try and remember to have a look.

Mike