• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

EAST AFRICAN CENSORSHIP

Started by Ross Debenham, January 19, 2019, 01:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach scans of two Air Mail Letter Cards from the same soldier the first of which was postmarked East African PO 68 on 10 August, 1944 and censored using Type a.600 censor marker number 522. At the time the soldier was attached to 6th East African Coast Battery. The second example was post marked East African Army PO 71 on 1 February, 1945a and censored using Type a.600 censor marker number 525. At this time the soldier was attached to 10th East African Coast Battery. Does this mean that this series of a.600 censor markers were issued in bulk to the East African Coast Batteries. Also is there any way I can find out the location of these Coast Batteries as from other philatelic evidence I believe 10 Coast Battery may have been on Zanzibar.

Ross Debenham

Sorry all, I meant East African Censorship

Michael Dobbs

Ross

As an administrator I have managed to get in and amend the topic title to read EAST AFRICAN CENSORSHIP.

Re your query - I have the following record:

FPHS A600 censor 526:
21st (East Africa) (R&T) Battery EAA
EAC; address PO Box 3017 Mombasa, pmk EA APO 87 of ? VIII B45
(BPO Nairobi) [FPHS Packet 247/9]

I also have the following for censor 521:
10th (East Africa) Coast Battery EAA
EAC; written 20/9/44 by a Sgt Dickenson

The same sender as yours, but the censor number appears to clash with your recording.

I wonder if there are any records in The National Archives at Kew - I'm sure there will be; I'll have a look next time I'm there (which I hope will be soon).

Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

Ross

For my records on FPHS Type A600 series censor marks can you provide the senders address details for both of your covers as written by the sender please.

Many thanks, Mike  :)

Ross Debenham

Thanks Mike, the reason I mentioned Zanzibar is that I believe there was an airgraph from the same sergeant in a FPHS Auction early last year stating that he was on Zanzibar. I suppose these type of things are what makes collecting military covers so interesting.
Ross

Michael Johnston

This serviceman was a prolific letter writer and either he or the recipient helpfully numbered each piece of correspondence. These reveal 10th Coastal Battery was at Berbera, Somaliland, between no later than end of January 1945 (your letter 252) and at least until end of April 1945 (letter 291). I have some more Dickerson correspondence but it's tucked away in the loft at the moment. Michael

Ross Debenham

Thanks Michael for the help.
Ross

Ross Debenham

Mike, for your information the senders address on the two covers I have are:

FPHS A.600 Number 522 APO68
Sgt Dickerson 6th (EA) Coast Battery, East African Artillery 9th August, 1944

FPHS A.600 Number 525 APO71
Sgt Dickerson 10th (EA) Coast Battery, East African Artillery 29th January, 1945

Good luck
Ross