• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WW1 Retreat from Galicia 1917

Started by Peter Harvey, January 25, 2019, 09:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I have attached two pictures from a 1917 postcard of Stockholm, would appreciate any thoughts on this or help with deciphering the handwriting.

I note:

1. Card of Stockholm
2. Posted to Florence - can not read the addressee name - Lady........?
3. Stockholm PM 27.8.17 with Bologna boxed censor cachet
4. Card signed from 'F.C. McDowell' (I think)
5. Message reads 'Left Petrograd a few days ago, Had to retreat from Galicia (am I reading this correctly?

So in August 1917, who was retreating from Galicia?

Any thoughts welcomed.

Peter Harvey

PS - I purchased this on eBay thinking it could be RNAS given the dates, however struggling to substantiate?

Nick Colley

Hi, Pete,

It's only a half-researched response, but there was a Sub Lt. MacDowell with Lampson's armoured cars (see pages 90 and 92 of The Czar's British Squadron by Perrett & Lord).  Page 112 recounts that the unit left Tiraspol for Galicia in June (1917). Page 140 mentions the Russian collapse on the Galician Front. The sense of the script on page 141 suggests the unit was now in Gusiatyn (now Husyatyn, I think), in the Ukraine by the 26th July. If the Russians had already failed in Galicia, then this may imply that the armoured cars were travelling north, rather than south. In fact, I've just noticed reference on page 143 to two of the armoured cars, covering the rearguard, being the last two vehicles to leave Austrian territory. All that would confirm and account for the reference on your postcard to the retreat from Galicia.

However, I can find no reference (yet) to Sweden/Stockholm - neither are mentioned in the index, so I'm having to look the long way round, so to speak. Therefore I can't help at this point with how your man came to be writing from there. Late August of 1917 would be a plausible time for him to be doing so, though, if he was en route back to the UK, for example. I'm uncertain how that might be reconciled with Sweden's neutrality, though?

chrs
N

Tony Walker

Hi Pete, Nick

Assuming Nick's identification is correct and MacDowell WAS with Locker Lampson's armoured cars in Russia, then he could well have been travelling north from the Galician front at this time.  None of my items are to or from him (a slim chance anyway).

Locker Lampson could see the collapse of the Russian military command on the southern borders as the rumblings of the Bolshevik Revolution were starting.  Under the pretext of overdue leave, sickness etc he brought many of his force out of Russia via Petrograd (St Petersburgh) and probably Murmansk summer and early autumn 1917.  In the nick of time as the Revolution took place about 10 weeks after your card is dated. 

Mind you the reference to Stockholm with the date is puzzling.  On their return to the UK, usually via Leith and the east coast of England, the men were granted extended leave as reward for their intense and highly hazardous time.  Many then re-joined the RNAS, but under army control.  Only a small care and maintenance force was left in Russia to over winter and protect the cars, supplies etc.  They escaped with the connivance of Trotsky in early 1918.

I've just completed a write up of my RNAS Armoured Car squadrons, much of which features the Russian campaign, and did not come across any references to Stockholm/Sweden.  There's a frame of the material at next months Stampex if you are going that way, in a five frame King George V and Men of his Navy exhibit (Open Class)

Cheers
Tony

Michael Dobbs

Hi guys

Just to stick my two'pennyworth in - I am no no means an expert in these matters but has anyone tried to read the message on the card?  I read it as:

"Arrived here today on my way to England.  Left Petrograd a few days ago.  Had to retreat from Galicia.  I hope to see Mrs Herbert in England - ? much love do hope you are well
F C Macdowell"

Does this make sense - does the mention of "retreat from Galicia" add weight to the card being military related but more importantly from MacDowell with Locker Lampson's armoured cars

Shoot me down if you think I'm talking rubbish!

Mike  :D

Nick Colley

Mike, yes, I read the message. I think what myself and Tony have said make a pretty strong case in support of the suggestion that the writer was indeed with the armoured cars. Does anyone know of any other British unit serving in Galicia in the summer of 1917?

chrs
N

Peter Harvey

HI Mike,

Thanks for the note, that is sorely what the discussion forum is about, anyone can chip in !!

I have been searching the web a bit and found this reference:

MacDOWELL, James
RNAS. Lieutenant. Russian Armoured Car Division. Russia and Rumania in 1916. James MacDowell papers PRONI T3896. Bangor

Also found this, which I had not seen before The Brave Report - UVF Sailors Honoured by the Tzar

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=2ahUKEwjOv8Cul5bgAhWhtXEKHVJKDp4QFjAGegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royal-naval-association.co.uk%2Fuploads%2Fbrave%2Breport%2B17%2Brussian%2Bacd.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2PNkCQDYzhGtr3DlNivvRZ

Peter Harvey

Also, I have the following link to documents held by the PRO in Northern Ireland..

Repository : Public Record Office for Northern Ireland
PRONI Reference : T3896/1
Level : Item
Access : Open
Title : Copy diary of Chief Petty Officer (later
Dates : 1915-1917
Description : Copy diary of Chief Petty Officer (later Sub-lieutenant) James MacDowell describing his experiences with the Royal Navy Armoured-Car Division in Russia during the First World War, December 1915-January 1917.

Tony Walker

Peter

Your original post has opened up some useful links for me too, on the Armoured Cars !

Cheers
Tony