• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

HMS Porpoise 1944

Started by Colin Tabeart, May 29, 2019, 02:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Tabeart

Here is a cover posted to submarine Porpoise, with date stamp AIF FIELD PO No 21 dated 8 Nov 1944. It also has a boxed AUSTRALIAN / MILITARY FORCES / (PASSED BY?) CENSOR / 2444. Posted at the forces airmail 3d concession rate. Can anyone help with whereabouts of the FPO at this time and/or ditto the censor marking please? There is a pencilled note (in Frank's writing I think) that AB Perryman was Spare crew and had left the boat on 28 Oct. If that is you Frank, how did you get that info please? Also can anyone explain the red inked "HS IN" deleted in pencil with the addition of "E3A"?  Best to all, Colin

Ross Debenham

According to Collas' book on the subject this post office was at Aitape, New Guinea commencing 8 November, 1944 at HQ 19 Brigade, staying in New Guinea at various locations until December 1945.

Colin Tabeart

Thanks v much Ross - most helpful, Colin

Frank Schofield

Colin

Yes is my writing, cannot  remember where I got the info, it was some years ago, I think it was John Leathes.

Proud agrees the location of AIF Field P.O

Frank

Colin Tabeart