• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

East african army post nairobi censor 44

Started by Ross Debenham, June 10, 2019, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach scans of a cover I recently purchased with censor 44. The first thing unusual about the cover is the postage rate, 2 shilling 60 cents which I believe is double air mail rate although there is no mention of airmail on the cover. The second scan show the address of the sender of the letter, which to me is quite unusual. Can any member assist with the postage rate and the return address on the rear of the cover.

Jim Mackay

CC - (Somaliland) Camel Corps?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somaliland_Camel_Corps
Jim

Nick Colley

1s30c was the normal air mail rate, I think, so 2s60c would be right for double rate.

Camel Corps sounds plausible for the C.C. part of the return address, but I've no idea about the T.80 part - sorry.

chrs
N

Alan Baker

The name of the sender is a difficult one to trace, but the addressee C Dalton Gee (1887-1966) is easier. He was apparently a director of the family firm of shoe manufacturers in Leicestershire and emigrated to Kenya in 1948, although on trips back to the UK his address is given as Leicestershire. In WWI he served in the RNAS