• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

142 Brigade

Started by Alan Baker, July 21, 2019, 09:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I am attaching a scan of a cover from Alistair's collection which bears the Censor 4/193 and the cancellation BAPO X. Proud tells me that this was from Salonika and Daniel allocates 193 to 142 Brigade.

However, a Google search for this brigade says it spent the whole war on the Western Front. Any ideas?

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Alan

This censor is Type 7 / 193,  Correctly used in Salonika. As is Base Army Post Office X, I also record used at APO SX 7 in September 1918.  Unit unknown.

Chris

Alan Baker

Of course it is! It's a bit worrying to have a Treasurer who can't count to 8

Nick Colley

I suppose it's possible that Daniel could be mistaken?

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Gents

Just to clarify - Daniel records Type 7/193 in Salonika with postmarks GX, SX4 & SX7 in 1917 and SX7 in 1918 with no unit allocation.  This fits in with Chris's comments and there is no association with 142 Brigade as Alan now admits he chose the wrong censor type!

Mike  ;D ;D

Nick Colley

OK, I misunderstood. So the confusion was with distinguishing between the numbers 4 and 7? :-[

Alan Baker

Absolutely! The cover before was a Type 4 and I just carried on without a care in the world - apart from the numeracy issue...