• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

APO 725

Started by Jim Etherington, August 08, 2019, 04:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

I have two covers from the UK both addressed to APO 725, both returned to sender with GHQ O2E MEF No 2 'Certified Prisoner of War'.

One is to a member of 101 Special Wireless Section (postmarked 28 Nov 40) and the other to 2nd Regiment RHA (postmarked 22 Nov 40.

Am I right to assume both intended recipients were probably taken prisoner during Operation Compass? Or is there a connection with Greece? I have googled both 101 SWS and 2 Regt RHA and both appear to have been in Greece, possibly late 1940, but definitely early 1941.

Jim

Sorry. I must revamp my question.

Further google searches indicate that both SWS and 2 RHA moved to Greece in Feb/March 1941 having previously arrived in Egypt too late to participate in Operation Compass. It therefore seems more likely the intended recipients of the letters were taken prisoner in Greece.

This raises the question whether Proud is correct when he states APO 725 was 'the original army address for Greece' (p 70).
The senders would not have been aware of the units' move to Greece when they sent the letters in November 1940. It therefore appears more likely APO 725 refers to Egypt, not Greece.

Comments please.

Jim