• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

FPO 234 in July 1971

Started by Michael Dobbs, August 20, 2019, 01:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I am seeking help in trying to identify where FIELD POST OFFICE 234 was used in July 1971.  I have a plain cover dated 16 JY 71 and a "WHY NOT JOIN THE ROYAL ENGINEERS ?" recruiting postcard postmarked on 21 JY 71.  Both are addressed to philatelists which makes me think that this was an event in the UK.

Ramsom in his online draft publication "British Forces Postmarks During Reign of Queen Elizabeth II" shows it to be The Royal Tournament.  However, the 1971 Royal Tournament took place 9-26 June 1971 and there are recordings of FPO 136 being used at that event on 9 JU 71 and 24 JU 71.

Does anyone out there have covers with either FPO 234 in July 1971 or FPO 136 in June 1971 so that we can expand periods of use and in the case of FPO 234 identify where it was being used?

Depending upon what responses I get this may may be submitted as a Query to our Journal Editor.

Thanks, Mike