• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Guy Crouch

Started by Alan Baker, October 04, 2019, 06:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I have found a cover in AK's material addressed to Mrs Guy Crouch. It is franked FPO 6, 29th June 1915, and bears Field Censor mark 3/65. (Apologies, scanner not working at present! Waiting for my daughter to fix it)

Can anyone tell me where he was in 1915? All I can find (FWR - Ancestry) suggests he was a Lieutenant or Captain in the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry, but Wiki does not list the OBLI as part of 6 Brigade. Daniel notes this censor as being from 6 Brigade HQ

Michael Dobbs

Probably doesn't help but I have attached "an appreciation" in Stamp Collecting 31st August 1956 and a photo of Guy Crouch.

Mike

Frank Schofield

Alan

Guy Crouch was a Captain in the 1st/1st Buckinghamshire Battalion part of the Ox & Bucks

See my article in FPHS 50th  anniversary journal

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

To clarify - Frank's article is in Newsletter 252 (Summer 2002) - "Two First World War items from a founder member of the Society" by Frank Schofield.

Other Crouch related articles include:
Newsletter 254 (Winter 2002) - "Postscript - A World War II item" by Frank Schofield
Newsletter 261 (Autumn 2004) - "A further and rather poignant First World War item from a founder member of the society" by Frank Schofield
Journal 266 (Winter 2005) - "Lionel William Crouch 1886-1916" by Andrew Brooks
Journal 277 (Autumn 2008) - "Colonel Guy Crouch and Major Constantine Phipps DSO, MC" by Andrew Brooks
Journal 291 (Spring 2012) - "Crouch Family Cards" by Ted Huggins

Mike

Frank Schofield

Alan

Extracted from 1st Buckinghamshire Battalion 1914-19 (Capt. Wright DSO, MC) published in 1920

Guy Robert Crouch. MC. T/Capt. 1.9.14. Capt.1.6.16. 

The answer to your question is, he was in hospital after being wounded on 21.4.15, re-joined the battalion 7.8.16, (over a year) wounded again 28.2.17, re-joined again 24.5.17. appt 2nd in command 1st/5th Gloucester Regt as Major 27.7.18 in Italy

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

Having looked at some of the journal articles noted above, I am now sure that this cover was not sent by Guy Crouch, but by Constantine (Jim) Phipps, his brother-in-law. The censoring officer was "J Phipps". He was a major in the 1st Battalion, King's (Liverpool) Regiment. This was part of the 6th Brigade, hence the FPO 6 mark.

Many thanks to all who contributed to this. When my scanner is working (!) I will post one of this cover

Alan Baker

Here as promised is the scan of the cover in question, together with another I have found in AK's material, which is actually self-censored by Guy Crouch.

Alan Baker

Just found a Field Service Post Card from Guy dated 2nd July 1917, bearing the franking FPO 112. This was in use by 145 Brigade at this time, which included 1st Bucks Battalion, OBLI.

The interesting thing is that it is addressed to FJ Melville (see Tony Walker's post on HMT 602). I have seen other covers and cards addressed to Fred Melville. I wonder if he was building up a personal collection of FPO frankings, as one I have seen has never been opened. Apparently Mr Melville was in poor health and did not serve in WWI on medical grounds

Alan Baker

Another item from Jim Phipps, but this time franked FPO 4. This is dated 2 days before the other item I posted. Same Division but different Brigade stamp

Michael Dobbs

Alan

I can see another Crouch-related article for the Journal coming from all this information / covers you have gathered!  :) :)

Alan Baker

They keep turning up. Five minutes after posting the last one, I found another from Jim, this time FPO 5. All three brigades were part of the same division but why did different stamps get used? Were they all held by the same postal clerk?