• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Sudan Defence Force censorship

Started by Ross Debenham, October 14, 2019, 06:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attached two scans of a rather chopped up envelope from somewhere in the Sudan early in WW2. Through the wonders of Google I have found out that the censor of the letter was a member of Number 6 M.I. Company, Western Arab Force. My questions are how long were these censor markers used by the Sudan Defence Force, and where was censor marker 2444 used?. I believe the "Examined By Base Censor"A.F.W.3302 tape and Deputy Chief Field Censor marker were applied in Egypt. Would this be correct? 

Nick Colley

Hi, Ross, those marks are quite scarce, I think. I've never seen one in the flesh, so to speak, but I haven't been looking that hard. Your question  how long were these censor markers used by the Sudan Defence Force is worth asking to a wider audience via the Journal, wouldn't you say? That might be a start. The Sudan country collectors who are not FPHS members would not be captured by that approach, of course.

Would I be right in thinking the postmark date appears to be October 1940?

WRT the tape and the DCF censor, it has always been my understanding that they were used in Egypt.

We need a censor expert to replace Alistair to answer questions on individual numbers, like yours on no.2444.

Best I can offer, Ross.
chrs
N

Ross Debenham

Thanks Nick, I never realised this type of censor marker existed until I picked it up in a local show in Wallsend, New South Wales. I believe that the cover was most probably posted in Nyala, Sudan, as that is where I believe the unit was located. I agree the date of posting was 7 October, 1940. I will take on board your suggestion that I submit the question to the journal.
Ross