• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

The consequences of war

Started by Tony Walker, October 14, 2019, 10:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I apologise to those members who may feel this post is irrelevant to the Forum.  No, on second thoughts I feel it is relevant, so apology withdrawn.

I have just returned from a most enjoyable philatelic weekend in Wesel, Germany, organised by the German Society of GB collectors.  Hello Arno!  Good to meet you there!  We stopped off for two days in Cologne, and it was that visit which has prompted this post.

At a nearby museum there was a photographic exhibition which had a profound impact on me and has left a lasting impression.  It consisted of a series of about forty items, each comprising four black and white photographs 250mm x 250mm  taken from identical positions in 1928/1937, 1945, 1983/84 and 2018.  The dates of the first three photographs as you will see are particularly pertinent.

The devastation inflicted on Cologne by blanket bombing was starkly illustrated, especially as the author of the exhibition had painstakingly produced identically set up camera positions and printing.  It shows the mindless consequences of war, and reflects badly on those who supposedly represent their country's interest.  I speak of any belligerence, and know full well we suffered similarly.  As always in these situations words are inadequate to describe the effect on me of this exhibition.  However if you happen to be in Cologne, see for yourself.

Many of us collect mail from war zones, I do myself, we do need to be aware of the wider picture.  The ridiculous and disgraceful posturing of the Brexit debate now well into it's fourth? year is perhaps a reflection of the quality of those who we have elected on either side of the Channel, to represent us.  Fortunately this has not degenerated into physical conflict, yet.

Well, I've got that off my chest.

Tony

Nick Colley

Hi, Tony, yes, well done for saying that. A salutary reminder of how and why the material which is the subject of our interest was generated.

As regards 'physical conflict', well, I suppose I should confine myself to a private reply, but I don't think I will: let's hope the worst it will be is a punch-up between Barnier and Johnson  ;D

chrs
N

Tony Walker

Cheers Nick. 

My money would be on Johnson !

Tony

Nick Colley

You think sheer weight of paunch would win?  ;)

Seriously, though, what was the name of the museum?

chrs
N

Tony Walker

Hi Nick

Cologne Stadtmuseum : Photo exhibit open until 15 December
You can get more details from Google and their website

I can envisage Boris as a brawler, Barnier far too superior for such behaviour

Cheers
Tony

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Tony,

many thanks for your words!

We must learn from history and see the right warmakers. Past and today.

We have got a important hobby to declare the history. Not all, what we learn in school is the right history. I thing about, some story's must be written new.

Q

Ingo