• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

FPO GM2 Egypt WW1

Started by Michael Dobbs, November 12, 2019, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the followiong enquiry and wonder if anyone has knowledge of the information he seeks:

[color=maroon]Hi, I am a member of BAMS [British Air Mail Society] and have been pointed in your direction in the hope that you may be able to supply me with some information.

I recently purchased a cover with the Middle East Brigade of the Royal Flying Corps cachet dated 11 Sept 1917. It has a Field Post Office GM2 Z cds, which I believe to be the HQ of the Royal Flying Corps at the Savoy Hotel in Cairo. The cover is addressed to England, but according to Alexander S Newall "British External Airmails until 1934" (second edition; pub 1985) ref 16.02 it may have been partially flown within Egypt. I am trying to find out whether this particular cover could have been flown, the departure point and destination.

I would be very grateful if anyone can provide any information about this cover, or point me in the right direction.[/color]

Thanks, Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Field Post Office GM2 from Aug 1917 until March 1919 is listed as GHQ EEF (2nd Echelon)-Cairo . All my mail I have coming from this FPO GM2 is from the army for this date. There is nothing in Kennedy and Crabb as location. I have also looked at Alistair's index cards for FPO GM2 and there is no location.

There were various places used the tittle of GHQ EEF Cairo and some were hotels with various offices including the RFC which came under this title. I would have thought all mail would go to one post office to be sorted which would have been at the main GHQ EEF Cairo buildings.  I hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris

Peter Harvey

Mike,

I am a little confused by this, if there were a cachet that said Middle East Brigade Royal Flying Corps that would be a concern as the RFC were not broken down into Brigades.... unlike the Army, if it said Headquarters, Wing or Squadron it would seem correct.

My observations on FPO GM2 are the same as Chris.

As ever, would be great to see a picture.

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Chris and Peter

Thanks for your responses.  I am now able to show the cover and it does indeed have a cachet MIDDLE EAST BRIGADE / ROYAL FLYING CORPS !  It looks as though some research is required to clarify the situation.

Mike  ;)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Just took this from goggle "A small Royal Flying Corps presence was deployed to the Middle East in late 1914. By 1 July 1916 this force had grown sufficiently to be raised to a brigade as Middle East Brigade.By December 1917 Middle East Brigade had grown to become HQ RFC Middle East which was renamed to RAF Middle East in April 1918. It renamed again to RAF Middle East Area in March 1920, then back to RAF Middle East in April 1922, and finally became RAF Middle East Command on 29 December 1941."

The RFC HQ was indeed based at the Savoy Hotel in Cairo at this time. From what I understand there was a small mail room there which took the mail to the GHQ EEF Cairo where the main FPO was.

Cheers

Chris

Nick Colley

Hi, Chris (et al), that sounds like a useful website. Can you share the url, plse? Would you mind?

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Nick,

Wiki RAF Middle East Command is all you need to find this.

Cheers

Chris

Alan Baker

Daniel list CM3/3464 as being from ME Bde RFC, and franking GM2. Alistair had a similar item recorded on his index cards but perhaps without the RFC connection (these are now with Chris)

Michael Dobbs

Thanks to your all for your information - most helpful.

However, the main part of the request was about any information on the carrying of Forces mail by air within Egypt or the despatch of mails from Egypt to UK by air - anyone any info?

I intend to borrow from the Library John Daynes' book "Wartime Airmail, An Introduction", 1996, 177pp, p/b (GEN48)  to see if that can provide any information.

Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

Hi all

I have now found out that Daynes' book relates to 1939-45 only, so no help.

Does anyone know if Forces mail from Egypt to UK was sent by air - or is September 1917 too early for air mail services?

Thanks, Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

All the mail I have from Egypt and Palestine for the 1916-18 period was sent by ship. I do not have anything sent by air mail for this period.

Cheers

Chris

Michael Dobbs

I have just heard from the person who made the original enquiry as follows:

[color=maroon]Sorry to bother you again, but I've done a bit of internet research which might prove useful. During August 1917 the GHQ EEF was moved from Cairo to Khan Yunis about 200 miles away only a few miles behind the British trenches opposite Gaza. Would the FPO have been moved as well or did this remain in Cairo?
My cover was sent just after this move in September 1917 and I wondered if it could have been flown to Khan Yunis from Cairo![/color]

I think that this would require some research at The National Archives to check War Diaries regarding the GHQ move and any possible reference to postal services.

Mike  :D

Chris Weddell

Mike,

The GM2 was only used in Cairo at the GHQ EEF. This FPO number would not have moved to Khan Yunis. Khan Yunis had its own APO/FPO numbers.

The RAF HQ was still at the Savoy Hotel in Cairo at this time so the it only could have gone though FPO GM2 in Cairo.

There is no reason why this item would have gone though any other APO or FPO as this would be seen by the cancels on the cover.

Cheers

Chris