• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Censor 3/3183

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 27, 2019, 07:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Back again

Trying to identify the unit using censor 3/3183,  have example on cover originating from Port Said civil office I XII 16, addressed to Salonika, redirected to Hospital Malta.  Endorsed HMHS Neuralia. 

This like many of my current posts refers to material which I'm considering for illustration in the revised copy of K & C.

Any help appreciated.

Chris

Alan Baker

Nothing from AK material so far, but Daniel records this as being in use in Egypt from 12/15 - 04/16 and then in France. He attributes it to Otago Battalion, NZ Army (also 3180 - 3184 as NZ) but with a note stating "Tentative allocation quoted to stimulate discussion, supporting or contradicting data appreciated".

However, he does note FPO D54 against this number. Proud gives slightly different dates for 54 Division and states that it was in Palestine later in 1917/18. Wiki does not list any NZ units as part of 54 Division, but does indicate that Otago Infantry Regiment was in Egypt following evacuation from Gallipoli.

Daniel also lists against 3/3181 Auckland Bn - APOSZ9 and against 3/3184 - Wellington Bn - SZ10, both in Egypt

If this is an NZ item, perhaps the best person to ask is Lorraine Maguire. I'm not sure she looks at the Forum however

Graham Mark

I recognised this one
4 items in my boxes, 11 and 21 July 16 from Port Said civil
17 Aug16 from BAPOT
17Oct16 from LH3 to USA
I will dig them out and scan them
Graham