• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Active Service Envelopes & Field Service Post Cards WW1/2

Started by Michael Dobbs, December 02, 2019, 06:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

Hi all - another enquiry:

I have received the following detailed enquiry from Australia - and before anyone suggests, I have sent it to Peter Burrows to see if he can / is willing to answer such detailed questions.

Other than that does anyone know if any research has been carried out into the printing of such stationery? 

[color=maroon]Apologies for not making my request clearer.  I am a keen collector of the Active Service Envelopes and Field Service Post Cards as used by Australian troops during World wars I and II.  I have enclosed a couple of scans to illustrate the items that I am chasing, and hopefully background information in relation to their printing.  I do understand that most were printed in England for the British Troops, and that some found their way to be used by Australian Troops.  That's all good.

What I am wanting to discover is who were the printers used and where were they based.  And what was the process for these printers in gaining authority to print the items?  Specifically:

For Active Service "Privilege" Envelopes
• What do the initials "M.E", "C & Co (B) Ltd", "C & Co Grange Mills, SW", "J.D. & Co Apsley", "P.A. & Co Ltd London", "J.D. & Co", "M & S Ltd", "T.B. & Co", "K. & J", "M.C. & S. Ltd", "W.M. & Co & Ltd", and "F.A. & Co Ltd" stand for?
• Presumably they denote specific printers, but can one of your members identify them for me?
• There are no doubt other printers not included above

For Field Service Post Cards
• What do the initials "M.R. Co Ltd", "W. & Co Ltd", "C & Co Grange Mills, SW", H.C . & L. Ltd", "J.J.K. & Co Ltd", "F.T. & Co", "S & S Ltd", stand for?
• Presumably they denote specific printers, but can one of your members identify them for me?
• There are no doubt other printers not included above
• I have been told that on the reverse side, the large numeric number indicates the print run by the printer, again, is this able to be confirmed?

I have been unable to find any publications/meaningful research on the items, and would be delighted to learn of any reference work/study done on these items, and would be very happy to purchase it/or a copy thereof of, if such is available.  I would be interested in hearing more of your Society, what is involved in joining from here in Australia?[/color]

Thanks, Mike  :)

Peter Harvey

These will all be in Peter Burrows book - "I am well', but I already have the following notes:

For Field Service Post Cards
M.R. Co Ltd = Morgan Reeves & Co Ltd
C & Co Grange Mills, SW = Chapman & Co Ltd Grange Mills refers to Balham address and SW South West London.
H.C . & L. Ltd = Hayman, Christy & Lilly Ltd
J.J.K. & Co Ltd = J. J. Keller & Co Ltd
S & S Ltd = Shaw & Sons Ltd

Michael Dobbs

Peter

Many thanks for your response; I have also heard back from Peter Burrows who has supplied a complete listing as follows:

C & Co (B) Ltd - Chapman & Company (Balham) Limited
C & Co Grange Mills, SW - Chapman & Company Grange Mills, Weir Road, Balham, London SW12
J.D. & Co Apsley - John Dickinson & Company Limited, Apsley Mills, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
P.A. & Co Ltd London - Pirie, Appleeton & Company Limited, Mansell Street, London E1
J.D. & Co - John Dickinson & Company Limited
M & S Ltd - Millington & Sons (1908) Limited, Southwark Street, London SE1
T.B. & Co - Thornburn, BaIn & Company Limited, Paternoster Row, London EC
K. & J - Kenrick & Jefferson Limited, West Bromwich
M.C. & S. Ltd - M Cook & Son Limited
F.A. & Co Ltd - Fenner Appleton & Company Limited, London EC
W.M. & Co & Ltd - Whitehead, Morris & Company Limited, London
M.R. Co Ltd - Morgan Reeves & Company Limited, London
W. & Co Ltd - Waddie & Company Limited, Edinburgh
H.C . & L. Ltd - Hayman, Christy & Lilly Limited, London EC
J.J.K. & Co Ltd - J J Keliher & Company Limited, London SE1
F.T. & Co - F Thorne & Company Limited, Liverpool
S & S Ltd - Shaw & Sons Limited, London EC4

Please note that it is 'Keliher' not Keller; see [url=https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/J._J._Keliher_and_Co]https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/J._J._Keliher_and_Co[/url]
Shaw & Sons Limited, London EC4 still appear to be trading but from different premises; see [url=https://www.shaws.co.uk/about-us.cfm]https://www.shaws.co.uk/about-us.cfm[/url]

Mike

Alan Baker