• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

service number

Started by Ross Debenham, December 23, 2019, 02:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I have been trying to work out the location of who I believe may have been an airman in WW2, but could not work out his service number. Fortunately on the weekend I saw 3 covers on E Bay which were sent from  the same person. These envelopes were struck with the manuscript "RECEIVED FOR H.M SHIP" as well as Daynes N460 censor marker which I believe was used in Kilidini Naval base in East Africa.  The return is as follows:
H GRAY P/MX 67086. Isn't MX the code for Fleet Air Arm. When I go to military records it takes me to a member of the RAF. Can anybody help me if this is a Fleet Air Arm service number.

Ian Muchall

It certainly isn't an RAF service number.  The prefix implies to me RNAS or Royal Navy. The RAF numbers never had letters, only 6 or more numbers.
I am convinced the sender was RNAS.

Ross Debenham

Thanks Ian, I thought it might have been fleet air arm as there was a fleet air arm base in the middle of Mombasa Harbour. However this doesn't tell why it was RECEIVED FROM H M SHIP.

Chris Weddell

This service number is for Plymouth (P). M is for Others -Artificers, Electrical, Supply etc. The x was used for ratings who were engaged after the new pay rate in the 1930's.This is Royal Navy number but not Fleet Air Arm as the prefix would be different.

Ross Debenham

Alan Baker

Not sure if this is going to help, but...

I have found an HW Gray in the April 1956 Navy List on Ancestry. He is noted as S L (A) (Sub Lieutenant (Air)?) with seniority from 11th February 1954. His appointment was to 1833 Squadron.

Further checking on Wiki tells me that 1833 Squadron FAA was on HMS Illustrious during the war. The ship was part of the British Eastern Fleet from 1944-45. This fleet was based at Kilindini from 1942-45.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any link to him having served as a rating or other. So, all this is speculation

Is there anything else on covers which might help, e.g. a home address?

Ross Debenham

Thanks Alan for the information. Makes it much easier to write up the cover.