• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

BRITISH FORCES SOUTH AFRICA WW1

Started by Ross Debenham, February 25, 2020, 05:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

Attached please find a scan of a cover recently purchased in Australia with the description "South Africa post marked Field Post Office 31 June 27, 1916. As this area of collecting is only a sidelight to me and I haven't got a catalogue to cover it, can members please help me as to whether the cover did originate from South Africa and what unit was it attached to, as well as location if known.

Chris Weddell

Ross,
      FPO 31 was used by the 31 Bde, 10 Div. At this date FPO 31 was based at Likovan, Greece. The earliest known use for this FPO at this location is the 26th June 1916. There is no latest seen date stated in Proud's History  of the British Army Postal Service Vol ii 1903-1907. There is no mention at all of this FPO being used by the South Africans in The History of the South African Army Postal Service also by Proud.

I have had a look at type 3 censor mark. F.W.Daniel's does list this censor 4119 mark used with FPO 31 IN 1917. In 1916 he has it used with FPO T10 which was used by the 57 (HOW) BDE Royal Field Artillery in Greece/Sal.

Ross Debenham