• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Captain J. B Wodehouse 3rd Norfolk Regt

Started by Peter Harvey, February 27, 2020, 08:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I am a little stuck in researching this cover and would appreciate any help, the reverse is blank.

Addressed to Captain J.B. Wodehouse 3rd Norfolk Regt c/o General Staff Office Naval Mudros, redirected.

I can not find J.B. Wodehouse with th 3rd Norfolks, in fact it looks to me like the 3rd Norfolk's never left the UK in WW1, serving and a reserve battalion in the UK. The Wodehouse name is interesting and I wondered if this might be John Wodehouse 3rd Earl of Kimberley, but Wiki tell me he transferred to the 16th Lancers at the outbreak of war. Any thoughts on this.

Also in red c/o NEO Port______ I can not read this, but goes onto state Please Forward to Rhodes - any thoughts on NEO and the redirection would be appreciated, why Rhodes?

Any help would be great

Peter

Alan Baker

Try Port Vathy (Vathi) on Samos

I have hit the same brick wall as yourself - Lord John Wodehouse. As he was originally with the Norfolks, maybe that is the connection. Not sure about the "B" though

Peter Harvey

Hi Alan,

Thank you, very helpful indeed. Any thoughts on c/o NEO??

Frank Schofield

A bit more on Lord J. Wodehouse

He was with the Norfolk Yeomanry not Regt.
He was awarded the MC in Italy (of interest to me) also MID twice
In Dec 1918  he is listed as an Aide de Camp, and also under the 16th Lancers
He was killed in an airaid on 18th April 1941

Frank Schofield

Peter Harvey

Thank you Frank. So it looks like he was in a ship to me, initially to Mudros, then Port Vathi on Samos and then to Rhodes, so a straight line (so to say) down the Turkish coast in the Aegean. Could NEO be Naval Executive Officer?

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

I have one item to this chap, also into Mudros,  An item of interest.  Chris

Frank Schofield

Robin Davis

Hello.

It may be of interest but J.B. Wodehouse, in the Edwardian period at least, was the Clerk in Council to the Cyprus Government. I have two local covers sent from Nicosia to him at Government House Nicosia and they are both written in the same hand writing as your cover.

I don't know his full period of Office in Cyprus but will try and find out if you are interested.

Kindest Regards

Robin