• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Lt Lucas Shadwell WWI

Started by Tony Walker, February 28, 2020, 05:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I recently acquired a cover (and letter) from AK's horde, written by Lt. Lucas Shadwell with a dr cds cancel Field Post Office T8 dated 10 Feb 1915, together with an unreadable red squared P by C mark.

In a rather faint and smudged part of the letter he wrote 30? nd? Brigade RFO? 8th Division

Lucas Shadwell joined the RNAS Armoured Car Division which went to Russia in 1916 and acquitted himself with distinction, however I cannot find much about him.  I believe he was decorated - he was wounded twice.  Where did he go when the ACD returned to the UK in 1917/18?

Any help appreciated

tony

Nick Colley

Well, Tony, I've just repeated Frank Schofield's earlier work with the October 1918 Navy List. I regret to confirm that there is no sign of a Noel Lucas-Shadwell. If memory serves, have I read that the ACD was taken over by the army upon it's return to the UK, and went out to Mesopotamia as part of Dunsterforce? Did he transfer back to the army? (Assuming he ever formally transferred to the RN, and wasn't simply seconded?)

On another issue, regarding the interpretation of his unit affiliation in his letter, I'd suggest that it's 33rd Brigade (subject to verification that such a Brigade served with 8 Div.) Also, it's RFA - Royal Field Artillery.

Since he was decorated there's perhaps a very good chance that an army or artillery museum might be able to help. (We've just had some astonishing success learning about my wife's paternal grandfather, who was awarded the MC in 1918, by writing to the regimental museum. The research cost a few quid, mind you.)

Best I can do.

chrs
N