• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of The Day 27 March 2020

Started by Peter Harvey, March 27, 2020, 03:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Here is my cover of the day for the sunny Friday in England, with more pool on the streets than normal !!

KGVI 5.1/2d Registered Letter, updated 6d to pay for Express mail, with red EX express label. Cancelled Field Post Office 547 DE 14 44 with the senders address to reverse F/O C. L. Pitu J28633 RCAF Linton On Ouse. Note the registration label is completed with the FPO D.S. No SC61, being the Canadian APO designation.

Now the sender at the time of sending this cover a Flying Office was awarded a DFC in 1945 flying a Halifax during the heavy bombing operations over Germany. After taking off Flight Lieutenant Pitu's Halifax lost one of four engines, however with his crew they completed their bombing of Hemmingstedt in Germany (on the Norwegian boarder) making a safe return to England, so I make that around a 900 mile trip.

Nick Colley

Ah, now, funny you should mention Canadians, Pete.

The attached item, as far as I can make out, was sent from Acton, 30th October, 1941, to RAF Station West Freugh in Scotland (near Stranraer).Under the resealing label, I think you can just make out an OHMS endorsement - which might explain the absence of a postage stamp.

From there it seems to have been re-used to No.7 MU at Quedgeley in Gloucestershire. Without lifting the label on the reverse, I can't be sure, but I don't want to do that. Anyway, from there it was re-used a second time to Canada - the RCAF, if the pencil endorsement is to trusted. The 7MU cachet is dated 18th December 1941, and it has traveled through official channels (by 'bag'?) via London, 20th December.

Presumably the red boxed [color=red]SECRET / B.O.A.C. / AIR MAIL (WA)[/color] relates to its onward transmission to Canada, but the meaning of WA eludes  me. Any ideas?

chrs
N

Peter Harvey

Great item and love the BOAC cachet - WA = Washington maybe??

Nick Colley

Oh, hadn't thought of that, seeing as it was addressed to Montreal. Hmm, yes, maybe, but need more to confirm, though.

TVM!
chrs
N