• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW1 POW Mail From Turkey

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 01, 2020, 03:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Friends will know of my interest in such mail. 

Have recently rediscovered a series of article by Martin Lynes in the Newsletter No's 208 through to 216 on "British Prisoners of War in Turkey."  Gives  a lot of detail on the various types of Postal Stationery produced and used.  Illustrations in Black &  White as per the period.

I have brought this series of articles together as one document and shown the original illustrations plus colour items as I have.  Cannot find anything else published on this subject.  A display on the Forum sections "Displays" also shows M Lynes collection/display of POW material. Some relevant material within this display

Anyone out there also collecting or have knowledge of the subject.  Would ask if anyone has material to post details. 

Chris

Jim Mackay

I've no knowledge of the subject but I acquired this cover many years ago. Much later I met Gavin Richardson, author of two volumes of the history of the 1/4th KOSB during WW1. He had met and interviewed many of the surviving KOSB servicemen in the 1970s, and confirmed that R Renilson had been captured at Gallipoli and survived the war. He is 2nd from the left in the photo copied from Gavin's book.

Jim Mackay

Sorry - missing attachments.

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Jim

A great cover. 1/4th Battn landed at Cape Helles. June 14th

July 11th/12th Attacked Turkish Trenches E10 & E11  Moved onto E12 which records stated did nor exist.  Relieved 14th, to Rest Camp

Casualties

Killed or Mortally wounded 12 Officers, 319 Other Ranks. 
Wounded 6 Officers & 203 Other Ranks.

Taken prisoner 13 Other Ranks.

Based the the Date received of this cover Aug 7 1915, I;m certain this was the action he was captured at.  A quick arrival in London for this letter.  Not sure which camp he was at yet.

More research to do on this one.  Note No other mention of POW's for this Battalion in Westlake.

Above Details taken from "British Regiments at Gallipoli" by Ray Westlake, Page 92/93

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

A little more

"The names of the 13 Border men taken as prisoners
were--Sgt. A. R. Wood (Stow); Private C. Burgess
[Galashiels); Private A. Wark (Hawick); Private W.
Martin (Duns); Private H. C. Turnbull (Earlston);
Private F. D. Wallis (Selkirk) ; Private R. Renilson (Jed-
burgh); Private A. Graham (Edinburgh); Private J.
Thomson (Kelso); Private A. Nixon (Hawick); Private
W. Shanks (Kelso); Private R. Thomson (Hawick);
and Private M. Davidson (Hawick). "

Chris

Jim Mackay

Many thanks Chris.
All most interesting details.
Cheers
Jim

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Jim

Pleased I was able to help.  Have run the 13 names above through CWGC records.  Looks like all survived captivity. 

Chris