• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Buyer beware. Ebay fake WWII cachets.

Started by Chris Weddell, April 01, 2020, 05:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Just to let everybody who collects anything to do with WWII German covers there are at the moment a large number of real German covers military and civil which have had unit and hospital handstamps applied to make them much more sought after. These covers are coming from UK eBay sellers. I keep a small reference collection of fake covers so I brought one lot.

The ones which i brought were sold as one lot of 10 for £5 as there were no other bidders which I will keep 1 of each and mark the backs as fake and destroy the rest. Sometimes these lots have sold for £70-120 to new collectors. The handstamps are fantasy, they look good but you only have to know your history that SS hospitals were not around in 1925-27 and there was none in Oulu Finland. What is more worrying is that you can buy the handstamps to fake your own covers. There are about 200 plus different and I note there are a few British one as well for damaged mail during an enemy action etc.

Alan Baker

Chris Weddell

Alan,

I have many times but they are still there selling these things.

Nick Colley

Oh, crap, so there's another bloody comedian out there? This should be notified to the Membership in the Journal. I'll send Chris G. and Dobbsie an e-mail requesting (instructing?) them to view this thread.

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Nick,

Thanks. If there is an article needed could someone let me know and I will do one as a matter of urgency.

Michael Dobbs

Nick

I've seen the thread - I view the Forum several time a day.

Yes, an article would be welcome. 

Michael Dobbs

My apologies - I was interrupted whilst typing my previous reply with a call to evening meal!  Some of you may well remember that we have published articles in the Newsletter (now Journal) before on dubious or fake covers (albeit using genuine Army Signals datestamps). I wrote two on these subjects, together with a letter to the Editor as follows:

No 175, Spring 1983 - Doubtful Lundy Covers

No 182, Winter 1984 - Letter to the Editor
(regarding doubtful Lundy Island and Fake Austria covers  both using Army Signals datestamps)

No 187, Spring 1986 - Fake Army Signals Covers from Austria

So yes, I would say an article for the Journal is appropriate.

Mike

Nick Colley

mng, all,

Yes, and I reported in the Journal many years ago a few covers bearing a RAF censor mark which looked all wrong and aroused strong suspicions. It's in the book as very probably fake. I can't recall which Journal number, now, but I can find it if anyone wants it.

chrs
N

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Team

Noted and I'll put something together for the next journal.

Chris

Nick Colley

[quote author=Chris Weddell link=topic=1385.msg6186#msg6186 date=1585760681]
Alan,

I have many times but they are still there selling these things.
[/quote]

Chris, it occurs to me that Ebay's response may be different if it is suggested to them that they are arguably complicit in a fraudulent transaction?

Just a thought.

N