• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

My Cover of the Day 5th April

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 05, 2020, 12:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

One I know nothing about, came with some other POW material,  Germany 1917 but that's all I know.

Assistance appreciated.

Chris

Nick Colley

OK, Chris – from the bottom up, so to speak? Posted in Charlottenberg, 20th February 1917 (a district of Berlin) and censored on the way out – that's the purple h/s Gepruft / Uberwachungsstelle. It's endorsed Prisoner of War mail (a loose translation) – Kriegsgefangenen Sendung. The addressee is POW Erwin Wicher (that's what it looks like to me) at the PoW depot at Roanne sur Loire, Hospital 25. Roanne is a commune in central France about 90 kms  NW of Lyon.  The two line blue P.G. VISE / 13th Region is presumably French in origin. P.G. is surely Prisonnier de Guerre. VISE is French for 'Referred'. In what sense 'Referred' in this context is anyone's guess?

The boxed Prisonniers de Guerre / Romans / Verifie / Par les Interpretes is self explanatory, except I wondered what 'Romans' meant.  I still don't because putting it in to Google Maps produces Romans sur Isere, about 15kms NE of Valence – or 90 kms or so south of Lyon: not an obvious connection with Roanne.

Now, the 25 after Hospital has been crossed through in pencil and Vichy military (something) added in its place. I can make no sense of the word which I've described as (something). Anyway, whatever it is it was I Vicht, about 70 kms or so NW of Roanne.

Will that keep you going for a while? The blue and red crayon squiggles mean nothing to me.

Best I can do.

chrs
N

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Nick

Appreciated.  Can write the item up now.

Chris

Nick Colley

I see my typing is going down the tubes:  WHAT was I thinking when I wrote I Vicht?????  :-[ Most embarrassing. I'm sure you know I meant 'in Vichy'....

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Nick

You do know that you can go in and edit your post (for that matter I can go in an edit any post!) ?
Just select 'modify' fromthe particular post you need to amend / correct, then select 'Post'

Mike  :)