• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Constantinople in 1919

Started by Tony Walker, April 15, 2020, 02:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Here is my offering today

Having checked it out to the best of my limited search capabilities, with I recall some help from Frank Schofield, it seems it might be uncommon.

With a 5 March 19 London machine cancel, it is dated 7.2.19 in the message, but it is the cachet which is interesting :

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER,
            D.S.R. (F.) BRITISH ADMIRALTY.
                    CONSTANTINOPLE.

The card is addressed to a Sgt. Scott G.F.?, S4 / 111160, 19th Div M.T. Coy., B.E.F.  On the reverse is a picture of the Mosquee du Sultan Bayazed, Constantinople.  It was sent by 'Walter' who says 'have not heard from you but hope you are A1 & getting near demobilisation'

The D.S.R. (F). is the Directorate of Ship Repairs (Foreign), and was recorded as such for the first time in the Navy List of March 1919.  Only two branches were listed under Overseas, South Africa and Constantinople, and by the July Navy List all overseas branches of D.S.R. had been closed.

10 years ago a youthful Chris Grimshaw emailed me to say he was trying to work out the dispatch route home of this card, look Chris, don't spend any more time on it, you have much else to do.  Also a note from John Slingsby in 2010 which says ' Your PC is from an official working for the Admiralty in Constantinople.  I have not seen this cachet before and doubt if I  will ever see another example.  Bearing in mind the message I wonder if there is a family connection?'

Any more info. to add to the write-up most welcome

Cheers
Tony

Nick Colley

Nice item, Tony. Quite a lengthy transit time (7th Feb to early March), so we can't really draw any conclusion re routing from that.

Reverting to an earlier posting of yours about the blue crayon cancels, I have one SOMEwhere. When I find it, I'll either put it on the Forum, or send you a scan.

chrs
N