• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Royal Navy WW1 Passed By Censor H.M.S ____________

Started by Peter Harvey, April 16, 2020, 09:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Not really a 'cover of the day' but a questions that some of you RN censor buffs might be able to help me with.

I am struggling with this cachet can not seem to ID in Gould. WW1 Egyptian card Nov 18, the Received From H.M. SHIP machine appears inverted to the datestamp, but that is another point. cachet top left two line boxed (frame) PASSED BY CENSOR - H.M.S. 46 x 12mm outer frame.

Any help appreciated

Pete

Tony Walker

Interesting censor mark Peter, not a cachet I would say.

Nearest I can find in Gould is 1B10 on page 71 in vol 1, but the illustration is small and there is no reference to it in the accompanying lists and text.  I cannot find a corresponding censor mark in my lists, although I do have (somewhere) the inverted RF/NC you show in your cover.

Having said that the mark does have an air of familiarity, so will keep looking.

Why should your post not be part of a cover of the day, but listed separately as I do?  I find the long list of 'covers of the day' a bit tedious to keep scrolling through

Cheers
Tony