• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of the Day 18th April Moscow to Gallipoli Townsend Correspondence

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 18, 2020, 02:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

My cover for today is the first in an extensive correspondence from this chap, spanning Gallipoli, Egypt and Palestine, Dunsterforce and Southern Russia.

The late Ed K illustrated some of this collection in his latest and final book.

To the cover,

Sent from Moscow 30 11 15 and backstamped Moscow  06 12 15, Two different calendars?  To Lt CW Townsend 1st Warwickshire Yeomanry. 1st Mounted Brigade Med Exp Force. C/o War Office London.  He was serving at Gallipoli at this time.

No arrival markings but a fascinating item complete with letter.

Chris

Howard Weinert

So that's where these covers reside. I saw some appear on ebay some time ago. I would love to see the ones from the Caucasus.

The Moscow postmarks are both Julian dates. It took 6 days to clear censorship (yellow label on back).

Peter Harvey

Wow, great cover and I did not see these on eBay !! Chris, you have a house full of gems, better not tell your wife....

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Howard

This part of the correspondence to my knowledge never made ebay, A major auction House and London Book dealer is where Ed & I obtained everything.  Earlier history unknown.

I attach the only other Moscow item which I have, May 1917 I think. 

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

The first of the Correspondence I have,

Prior to leaving the UK.  Cancelled 9 Oct 1915  3 Page letter enclosed.

His time at Gallipoli was short

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Pages 2  of the first letter.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Page 3 of the first Letter.

That's it for today.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Note,

Have renamed this one,  plan to run a few items every day if of interest.

Next stage will be the Sea voyage out to Mudros.

Chris

Howard Weinert

I did some digging about Townsend at some point and I think he married a Russian girl that he met over there and brought back to England. I also saw some letters from the girl's father. I do now remember that a book dealer in London had a bunch of this correspondence.