• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of the day Aden?

Started by Ross Debenham, April 22, 2020, 01:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

Attached is scans of an envelope from an envelope, censored using changed Type S.100 censor mark, but not hit with a army post office marker. I believe this is from East Africa prior to the two South African divisions going to the Middle East. But, this is where it gets a bit strange, the envelope has been back stamped in Aden on 21 May, 1941. Can any member help me unravel what is going on.

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross, you are the expert, but I did a quick search and noted "The 1st Infantry Division HQ, Division troops and 5 SA Infantry Brigade arrived in Suez, after an eleven-day voyage from Mombassa on 3 May 1941. The 2nd Brigade arrived in Suez on 8 June from Berbera and was forthwith assiged to 2 SA Infantry Division"

So you cover dated 21st May could have been 2nd Brigade travelling through Aden?

Peter

Ross Debenham

thanks Peter, I think you are right. The army post offices would not have been used on board the ship i suppose. Hope you're keeping well.