• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Card of the Day for May 5, 2020

Started by Howard Weinert, May 05, 2020, 05:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Weinert

Postcard from an American sailor on the USS Brooklyn in Vladivostok 19 days after the Bolshevik revolution. Franked with 9 kopecks in Russian stamps which overpaid the international postage by 1 kopeck. However, the card was not entrusted to the Russian post. Instead a 4 sen Japanese stamp was affixed which paid the Japanese international postage. The Japanese stamp was canceled in Yokohama on 1 December. This is the earliest known mail from American forces in Russia. The Brooklyn arrived in Vladivostok on 23 November and left on 11 December.

Message headed 26 November 1917, U. S. S. Brooklyn:

"I wrote you a letter yesterday while ashore. You may have to pay some postage on it as I didn't know how much stamps to put on it. I had a ride in a Russian carriage which is called 'isvostchick.' I had a Russian with me yesterday for interpreter, and he came over and visited the ship today. I may go see him tomorrow and take an auto ride. Many visitors aboard today. I go in the office tomorrow as log room messenger (strikes for yeo.). Lovingly, T."