• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

3rd Cover 6th May RND at ANZAC 1915

Started by Chris Grimshaw, May 06, 2020, 03:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

To share is to enjoy and also enlighten.

Scans of two pages recently completed showing FPO N L 3 used by the 3rd Battalion Royal Naval Division who were at Anzac

Firstly a cover with enclosed letter datelined 23rd May 15 sent by Sergeant Oliver Bazil Dean, Chatham Battalion. secondly a card cancelled June 2nd 1915.  Excerpt from letter shown.  On card says "plenty of news but not allowed to put"

Unfortunately  by the time certainly when the card arrived home he was Dead. KIA, wounds or sick I know not.

Anyone any clues on the signatures please ? :) 

Chris

Alan Baker

FWR - The censoring officer on the first one is Captain Stephen Arthur Stoddart, officer commanding C Company, Chatham Battalion. There is a note that he was wounded at Helles on 6th June 1915.

The Navy List for January 1919 states that he was in receipt of his pension effective from that date, which suggests he was invalided out of the service.

On Ancestry I have found a record of his divorce in 1917 on grounds of adultery and desertion! He died in Surrey in 1942, aged 58

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Appreciated.  Signatures are not my strong point.

Chris

Alan Baker

FWR - Killed in operations in Dardanelles, 7th June 1915

Alan Baker

As this was the day after Capt Stoddart was wounded at Helles, it is likely that Sgt Dean was there too. Wiki gives a timeline for Helles on that day as fighting at Krithia Vineyard, attack by 42 Division