• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

cover of the day May 10, 2020 - Polish rebellion

Started by Howard Weinert, May 10, 2020, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Weinert

A fieldpost letter sent to Prince Sayn-Wittgenstein Berlebourg in Wloclawek, Poland. The Russian officer who wrote this letter was on patrol near the Prussian border. Major General Wittgenstein was military governor of Wloclawek.

Sompolno, 20/3 Feb. 1864*

Your Highness,

Yesterday I was here in Sompolno for the big fair. I am sending you this special report to give Your Highness an overview of the situation. Within 20-25 versts of the Prussian border, there are bands of 20-30 insurgents commanded by Callier and Schelinsky. Five days ago they tried to cross the border, but failed due to the vigilance of the Prussians. Now most of them are back in Chmielno in Prussia. There is no doubt that they will soon repeat the experiment. The situation in Sompolno is deplorable. The mayor, who was almost hanged4 once before, cries and asks for the troops that Your Highness had promised to send. We hear that we shall receive a battalion of the Olonetsk regiment from Konin. Fifty cavalry penetrated beyond Konin twenty days ago, captured the mayors of Sluzewo and Tuliszkow, hanged one of them, and looted the city treasury in the latter place. I think it is my duty to patrol this area, but I do not want to lose sight of the rest of the border. I believe that in better weather, cavalry will cross at Zakrzewo and infantry at Nowa Wies and Skulsk. Our patrols go out of Piotrkow to Skulsk. Perhaps until the battalion arrives, Your Highness will find the means to send one company, maybe from Izbica. One reserve company would be a big help! With Your Highness's indulgence I'll end my report,

*20 Feb. old style = 3 Mar. new style.