• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day 12 May: 1962 Vierdaagse Nijmegen

Started by Michael Dobbs, May 12, 2020, 01:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

[b]International Four Days Marches Nijmegen[/b]
[i](Internationale Vierdaagse Afstandsmarsen Nijmegen)[/i]

The cover is a philatelic item (Dr M W (Matthew) Carstairs FRPSL served in BAOR as a doctor in the Army and joined the Society in 1961, sadly died in 1985) postmarked FPO 305 on 27 JY 62.  Because of the large number of British forces personnel taking part from BAOR an FPO was provided in the tented area set aside for the British military.  The FPO was provided in a tent and was established during the period 22 to 27 July 1962.  Mail was circulated via BFPO 43 at RAF Laarbruch.  The photograph is of the FPO tent and the text on the back reads: "The cancelling device, book of stamps and mailbag as well as a tea-cup can be seen.  On left is box of equipment and in the foreground the mail van" (Volkswagen van).

The 46th Vierdaagse (4-Days March) took place from Tuesday to Friday 24-26 July 1962.  Sadly, it is recorded that a British soldier died on the third day through his efforts in trying to complete the four day event. 

I have participated in the Nijmegen 4-days March nine times over the years - three times during my time with HQ NORTHAG (1972-75); 1977 as an individual (I had left the Army then) then in 1994, 1996, 1998, 2001 and 2002 as a Member of the Metropolitan Police team.  You may recognise me in the photo (I had a beard then and I wore a peaked cap rather than a helmet as I was not a police officer but a member of the Police Staff - but I was a member of the Met Police Walking Club).

The 4-days march goes back to the founding of the Dutch Physical Education Association (NBvLO) in 1908 to promote health and physical education and activity in the Netherlands and in 1909 organised the first 4-days march largely for military personnel, but with a growing number of civilian walkers thereafter.  Nijmegen became the permanent host of the Four Days Marches in 1925.  It is held annually (except during WW1 and WW2) in mid-July and has grown considerably since then - for example in 1997 there were 36,723 participants from some 29 counties, including 1,480 British persons.  It is called the 4-days March, but really it is walking for most of the way, military teams marching when passing through towns and villages en-route and for the final few kilometres to the finish lines (this last parade a number of military and police teams change into their dress uniforms and carry bunches of flowers presented to them, as you can see in the photo.

Participants walk 30, 40 or 50 kilometres daily depending on their age and gender.  For military teams it is 50 kilometres, except for those teams that carried at least ten kilograms of marching kit each when they could do the 40km.  In my military days the Rheindahlen Walking Club was an international group (both army and air force personnel) and we did not carry any kit so we did the 50km route!

During my time the organisation was known as the Koninklijke Nederlandsche Bond Voor Lichamelijke Opvoeding (KNBLO) (Royal Dutch League for Physical Education) having received its 'Royal' (Koninklijke) prefix in 1959.  In 2015 it was re-named the Royal Dutch Walking League (KWBN).

Please enjoy - compiling this has brought back many memories of me participating in these marches during those years.  As well as the fours days march it was also a four days festival during this time.

Mike  :) :)

Alan Baker

Bearing in mind your beard was pretty grey then, I'm not surprised you shaved it off!