• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day 16th May - HMS St Vincent

Started by Alan Baker, May 16, 2020, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Here is my offering today. It is a postcard bearing the "PASSED BY/ CENSOR" mark, which appears to be Gould 5C36, identified as HMS St Vincent. It is  roughly 54 x 22mm. Also an eight-barred circular mark (location?)

A few years ago, I attended a weekend away with the Germany & Colonies PS at Lichfield. On the Saturday morning, a coach load went into the city for a guided tour, followed by some free time. During this, I found myself at a market with a colleague (no names, no pack drill, Dane) and on a stall selling postcards, he fished out this card. As he does not collect this kind of thing, I bought it. He did comment that I should attempt to erase the scribbling on the card, but I pointed out that it had been addressed to a young girl and had possibly been marked by her - about 100 years ago. I felt it added to the charm of the item.

You are at liberty to disagree!