• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Cover of the day 28 May Kassala

Started by Ross Debenham, May 28, 2020, 02:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

My cover for today is a cover from British forces at Kassala in eastern Sudan, post marked using Field Post Office E.615 dated 17 April, 1941. This was about 4 months after the Italians had abandoned the fort at Kassala due to reverse in Egypt. I was always under the impression that this type of f.p.o. marker was only ever used in the Middle East theatre of war. Can any member assist as to whether many of these markers were used elsewhere.

Nick Colley

Ross, I see the censor has dated his signature 7.4.41, so if the postmark really is 17.4.41, it may be that the item was posted at a different location from where it was written.

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Ross - I think you will find that Sudan came under the control of Middle East Command and its APO/FPOs operated under the control of that Command.

See also FPHS Newsletter (now Journal) 36, page 53 where it is reported that FPO E.603 was also used in the Sudan.

Mike

Ross Debenham

Thank you gentlemen, I am now wondering about the date in the post marker.