• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

My (1st) card of the day - Dunkirk evacuee

Started by Graham Perfett, June 03, 2020, 04:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Perfett

I saw this postcard (of Margate beach and pier) in a postcard dealers cheap box and the large manuscript BEF on the back caught my attention. My first thought was why is there no Censor mark. I then noticed that it is was postmarked Margate Kent / Gt Britain / 31st May 1940 machine in red. That's when the penny dropped! It is from a Dunkirk evacuee who has been landed at Margate. He writes "Arrived home OK, and feeling fine. Alex" It is addressed to Mrs W Hodden, Deane Cottage, Monymusk, Aberdeenshire. I have never seen such a card before and wonder if anyone else has.

Nick Colley

Hi, Graham, welcome to the Forum.

That's an very nice postcard, with such eloquent brevity in the message.

I wonder if the writer, Alex, is writing to his mother? If that is so, then maybe an 'Alex Hodden' could be found in Forces War Records - or Ancestry? That way, I wonder if it might be possible to establish what his unit was and what happened to it (and him) during his last three weeks (or so) in France.

chrs
N

Alan Baker

First pass - Ancestry - Alex Hadden (note spelling) b 1923 d 2001, son of William Hadden  who died in Monymusk in 1953 and Margaret Hadden (=Mrs Wm Hadden) d Monymusk 1975.

Not found a direct military link yet but the only Alexander Hadden on FWR was a Pte with the Gordon Highlanders.

Will look further tomorrow

Nick Colley

Ah, he sounds like a good candidate, Alan.

However, Wiki reports thus:

'The 1st Battalion, Gordon Highlanders was a Regular Army battalion that served originally with the 2nd Infantry Brigade, part of the 1st Infantry Division, and was sent to France in September 1939, shortly after the declaration of war, as part of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF): it remained there until May 1940. On 7 March 1940 the 1st Battalion exchanged with the Territorial Army 6th Battalion and transferred to the 153rd Infantry Brigade, part of the 51st (Highland) Division. The battalion served with the 51st Division during the Battle of France in 1940 when they were trapped and the majority of the division was forced to surrender at Saint-Valéry-en-Caux, with very few men escaping capture.'

Therefore, either your FWR Alex Hadden is not the same as sent Graham's postcard, OR he is the same and he had a more interesting time in France than we might suppose. If you CAN dig a bit more, Alan, there may be a story worth finding?

chrs
N

Alan Baker

Not found anything more on Ancestry - not v good for WWII. Also, Hadden is quite a common name in Aberdeenshire and Alexander Hadden appears in a number of searches, mostly in 19th Century.

I've not found which battalion he served in, but the 1st & 5th surrendered in France in 1940. However, the 4th & 6th Battalions were evacuated from Dunkirk. According to FWR, AH later served in Italy, as did the 6th Battalion.

There is a research facility on the Gordon Highlanders website, but enquiries cost at least £30! There is a record on My Heritage which again I cannot see as I am not a member....

Peter Harvey

He appears in the London Gazette 15 Jun 44 as awarded the DCM - so there must be a medal card to b found - keep digging !

Ingo Egerlandt