• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

My offering for 7th June Don't all be shocked its WW2

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 07, 2020, 12:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Spent some time looking for a specific cover, not found.  However came across a small package which according to attached note I marked up for disposal in August 2016,  A lifetime ago.

Not a clue as to how I came to have this one,  I'd suspect a mixed lot.

PPC of Athens cancelled FPO 782 11 Oc 4?  Sender gives their address as YMCA C/O D.A.D.A.W.S.  H.Q. L.F. Greece C.M.F.

I know nothing more...

Chris

Nick Colley

A pure guess, Chris, but maybe Deputy Assistant Director Army Welfare Services for D.A.D.A.W.S? (Wd be consistent with the YMCA connection, perhaps?). Mike Dobbs can probably nail it, though.

I'm at a loss about the L.F., though.

No censor mark, so presumably not 1944.

chrs
N

Alan Baker

Any significance that the card is signed "Enid"? I've looked on Ancestry for Enid M Bright but limited info. I have found someone with that name in Chelmsford, Essex, described as "Unpaid Domestic Duties" but also ARP Ambulance Driver (1939 England and Wales Register). Also 1911 Census, aged 14 giving her birthplace as Coggeshall. No military record though.

I have found Wyatt Appleford though in 1933 Kelly's Directory - ran a working water mill in Coggeshall, Essex - seems to have been a family business.

Alan Baker

I assume CMF is Central Mediterranean Forces.

Could LF stand for Liberation Force?

Michael Dobbs

Gents:

DADAWS = Deputy Assistant Director of Army Welfare Services

LF = Land Forces (i.e. HQ Land Forces Greece)

CMF = Central Mediterranean Force

I had initially thought that DADAWS stood for Deputy Assistant Director Army Works Services (but couldn't find any reference to such), but then agreed with Nick's response, especially after I downloaded The Quarterly Army List for April 1945 (all 1,926 pages of it!) and found the Director of Army Welfare Services at the War Office and further down nine Deputy Assistant Directors of Army Welfare Services shown within the War Office.  This appears to be a Major's post as all nine were of the rank of Major.  This came under the Department of the Adjutant-General to the Forces.

I think that this card will be of great interest to Marc Parren, who is compiling an article on British Forces in Greece.

Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks everyone, 

Pity we can't tie the date down further, as no Censorship post 1946? Not sure when military censorship finished in this theater.

Chris

PS. Only clues I have on these postings for today, all contained within a Cavendish envelope marked up as Lot 432.  Guess I purchased because a specific item was in the lot from my area of collecting.

One item I'd forgotten about is a 1917 St Louis wreck cover with contents, could be that one.  No cachets but clearly dated within correct time frame.  This will be mounted tomorrow:)

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

CENTRAL MEDITERRANEAN FORCE
The Post Office Circular of 31 December 1947 stated:
Ceased to be used on 31 December 1947 when remaining British Forces in Italy adopted a civil form of postal address.

BRITISH FORCES IN GREECE
Post Office Circular of 8 May 1946
Stated the address was introduced on 23 March 1946

I would suggest that the card is dated October 1945 - if the address British Forces Greece was introduced on 23 March 1946 and censorship or use of censor cachets only went on until July 1945 (certainly the case in 21 Army Group in NW Europe) then I would suggest it is October 1945.

Mike  :)