• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of the Day - Canadian Aircrew Training

Started by Alan Baker, June 19, 2020, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

As we are coming to an end of this great initiative, I thought I should get a few more in - Canada again (watch out for some Portuguese!)

This cover was sent in 1944 by 1523737 AC1 Roberts, Frederick William, to A branch of the Midland Bank at Fleetwood Lancs. He was under training at 39 Service Flying Training School, Swift Current, Saskatchewan, MPO 1210.

The airmail postage paid was 30 cents, but I do not know if this is the correct rate. Can anyone confirm?

Robert Hurst

Hi Alan

The  [i]Postal History Corner – Canadian Postal and Philatelic History[/i] website ( http://postalhistorycorner.blogspot.com/2011/06/george-vi-war-issue-1942-1945-war_04.html ) on the pages covering the period 1942-45 quotes Airmail rates from Canada to Great Britain, Northern Ireland and Eire (published in the [i]1944/45 Postal Guide[/i]) as follows:

Air service in Canada only 7c for the first ounce (plus 5c for each ounce thereafter) *  or

30c each ½oz including transatlantic air conveyance (the rate appears to have started in June 1939 and continued until around November 1946 when it went to 15c per ¼ oz).

The website can be a bit fiddly to navigate, but has a wealth of information and is well worth a visit.

I hope this helps

Robert

*The rate for air service in Canada only was 6 cents per ounce until March 31, 1943. On April 1, 1943, a 1 cent War Tax was added to the first step air mail rate.