• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Re: COVER OF THE DAY 14 MAY - S.O. NANYUKI KENYA

Started by Nick Guy, July 13, 2020, 12:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Guy

Hello Ross

In response to my query in the Bulletin of the East Africa Study Circle, Bill Colley (Hon Life Member of the EASC - aka "Uncle Bill" in this forum) has told me that he recalls that when he was seconded to install a Police Radio Network in Northern Kenya in early 1951, there was a post office in the army camp at Nanyuki manned, he thinks, by two Africans - but he notes that his was some time ago and he is relying on memory as he has no documentation and his friends from the East African postal service of that time are no longer with us.  This was in addition to the post office in Nanyuki itself.  He considers that there is no reason that SO should be an acronym of anything other than Sub-Office.

So not 100% definite, I am afraid, but I hope this is of use to you.  I will be publishing it in our Replies to Queries in the September Bulletin so you are getting an advance view!

Nick Guy

Ross Debenham

Thanks Nick, it seems more and more likely that the sub office at Nanyuki was in the army camp. One has to wonder why S.O. and O.S. were used. Thank you for the information, very interesting. Ross