• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW2 Hospital Ship 'Berlin'

Started by Andrew Brooks, August 12, 2020, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Brooks

This cover was in an auction lot and at first, with it not being part of my collecting interest, I paid it no attention. I thought at first that it must be a land based German naval hospital in Berlin. Internet showed it to be one of eight hospital ships and that it operated in Norway. It also said, along with details of its construction, that it was sunk later in the war. I presume that it was in Konigsberg to cover the invasion of Poland ? Also, I would like information on the other seven ships. Manuscript on reverse has the name of the person in the hospital
Andrew

Andrew Brooks

It has just been brought to my attention that part of the answer is to be found in the Display Section- Peter High on German Hospital Ships. Thank you Reg I would not have thought of looking there!
Andrew

Marc Parren

Passenger steamer of the North German Lloyd in Bremen, launched on March 25, 1925 and used in the Bremerhaven - New York liner service for the next few years. Commissioned as a hospital ship on August 23, 1939 that operated in the Baltic Sea and it served during the Poland campaign as well. Temporarily decommissioned from January 15, 1940 to April 9, 1940. The ship could carry 400 wounded, the crew consisted of 165 men. In July 1940 the ship was in the port of Copenhagen as a naval hospital. It had a capacity of 490 beds. Chief physician was squadron physician Dr. Paul. The ship sank on January 31, 1945 on a mine near Swinemünde.
Marc

Andrew Brooks

Hi Marc,
Many thanks . I shall now write up the cover with all your extra information
Andrew