• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

F/O Sprague in Dulag Luft December 1941

Started by John Cranmer, August 22, 2020, 01:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cranmer

Attached is a scan of a cover addressed to F/O Sprague who was shot down on the 22/11/1941 while flying a Spitfire.  I could do with some help with this please

The letter is dated 02/02/42 some 10 weeks after.  It is addressed Dulag Luft.  Allowing say 4 weeks to get across the Atlantic that makes 14 weeks in total

I understand that POW were not held that long in Dulag Luft as it was a reception and interrogation camp.  Sprague was at some time transferred to Stlag Luft 3.
There are no German Censorship markings or a forwarding address so possible it never arrived in Germany.  There are no markings on the reverse.

Is this a likely scenario or is there another possible explanation. 

John Cranmer

Michael Dobbs

John

I'm not an expert on POW mail but two aspects of your cover struck me:

1. There is a cachet of the International Committee of the Red Cross Geneva applied which suggests it went to Switzerland at some point.

2. The writing in the top left appears to be significantly different to the handwriting to whom the cover is addressed - I wonder who wrote that and where (possibly the Red Cross in Geneva?)

As I say this is outside of my knowledge area and so I am open to correction.

Mike  :)

Alan Baker

I agree about the handwriting, but would the Red Cross spell "Pris(s)oniers" incorrectly?

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi together,
DULAG is in German Durchgangslager ans STALAG is Stammlager. DULAG for POW was staying short time and DULAG the finish home for POW. Than often vergotten to make handstamped. Often control soldiers from other countries the POW's and the post.
Ingo

Peter Harvey

Nice Cover Flying Officer Spragge from Montreal survived WW2. I think shot down November 1942 whilst flying with with 401 Sqn RCAF alongside No3 Sqn RAF operating over Calais and St Omer where the squadron encountered some 20 ME 109's with Spragge's  the only Spitfire shot down.

Fg.Off. Sprague's Spitfire was shot down near Boulogne. He safely baled out but was captured and taken as PoW. He remained at Stalag Luft 3 and suffered the 'Long March' when the camp was evacuated as the Soviet forces advanced into Germany. Finally freed by the allies in May 1945. He returned home shortly after liberation.

Surely 3c was the inland rate for Canada, with the concession for POW mail. For this to be allowed, the IRC address was required top left, so this was likely applied in/at the Canadian Post Office.

(Lots on this chap if you google him - see attached)