• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Ex P.O.W. - R.T.U?

Started by Frank Schofield, October 11, 2020, 07:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

During the lockdown not many Italian items have been coming through, one from a dealers list, and a small lot (5) from another source. One of the five caught my eye, with a Field Post Office FD2 cancel in December 1918, with the shield censor (CM9) No.430 present, which usually indicates the item is from Austria. I was surprised to find it was on a German postcard.
The card with a view of Isartor one of 4 gates in the medieval wall around the old city of Munich, tramlines and a tram passing through one of the arches are visible (a modern-day view shows a main road passing across the front of the gate and the tramlines and tram have long gone).
Addressed to a young lady in Birmingham, it is headed in faint writing, Munich, Germany, 21/12/18, the writer (Frank) states "I am here" also "we have been staying in the barracks and slept with the Bavarian soldiers".
I believe that he was an ex Prisoner of War captured by the Germans on the Western Front while serving in the 7th Division, who were sent to Italy in November 1917, and he was being returned to his unit, now serving in Austria.
Postmarked Field Post Office FD2 on 29th December 1918, 8 days later, I assume he put the card in the post after re-joining his unit, the shield censor (CM8) No. 430 is known used by the 2nd/1st Honourable Artillery Company, who fought as infantry in WW1. They were sent to Imst in Austria on 28th November 1918 as a token occupation force.

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Frank

Very nice card. Think you're correct, Guess there is no surname of the sender which we could run through the POW records.  I don't think these records are searchable by unit.

Seems unusual though that he was returned to unit.  Not come across this scenario before.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

I do have another similar item of a ex POW in Austrian hands being repatriated to Italy, they promptly shipped him back to the same unit 2/1st HAC, proven by a later postcard to his son thanking him for the chocolate cake. This was in my FPHS Stampex exhibit a couple of years ago

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Cheers Frank

The 'Master' has clarified matters.  Wonder what their views were RTU instead of the UK?

On another matter do you have any Parcel Post Label material from Italy from May 1917 onwards, looking for examples of the rates in place.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Sorry, never seen any parcel post items in all the years I have been collecting Italy

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Frank

See my last post,  currently on a certain auction site

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank

Have just sent you a PM with reference no for said item. on Ebay.

Chris