• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

In a cold bleak corner of Italy

Started by Frank Schofield, November 01, 2020, 08:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

While researching this Italian postcard, addressed to a Mrs Buxton in London, SW, no message, signed by R.P. Buxton. The card, postmarked by FPO 112, (145 Bde, 48th Division) on 3rd January 1918, I know the CM6 censor No. 377 was allocated to the 1st/4th Ox & Bucks battalion, I have a copy of their War Record, which tells me that A/Capt. Richard Percy Buxton, was killed in action on 15th June 1918, the night of the massive Austrian attack.

My normal routine is to print out a copy of the entry from the CWGC site, and to my surprise it showed that Capt Buxton "Died" on 1st June 1918, I contacted the Ox & Bucks museum and asked if the War Record was correct, they replied it was.
After representation by the museum, the CWGC entry was corrected.

The attached photograph, kindly supplied by the museum, shows Capt Buxton's snow covered grave in a bleak corner of Boscon British Cemetery, Northern Italy

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Well done Frank in getting the records corrected. 

A very moving reminder of their service.

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Well done Frank - I do like it if errors found in official records are (and can be) corrected.
A good write-up to your postcard.

Mike  :)