• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Standing with Giants

Started by Alan Baker, November 08, 2020, 12:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

My wife and I recently went to Blenheim Palace to see the display on the hill up to the Victory Monument of figures of soldiers and poppies put together by Dan Barton and his son in aid of the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal. The display is there until 22nd November

It was very moving and well worth a visit if you can, either in person or online at https://www.blenheimpalace.com/visitus/what-to-do/standing-with-giants.html

Michael Dobbs

Alan

Many thanks - however, what Alan omitted from his posting was that he met Dan Barton, the artist responsible for the display, and his
son. Part of the exhibit was a series of extracts from letters from British soldiers in WWI. It was all very moving but Dan said they had
had difficulty in finding suitable letters for that part of the exhibit.  Alan took the opportunity to tell him that a point of reference was the FPHS and his son noted that down.  So we may expect a request for help for future exhibits and I'm sure that our WW1 collectors will be more than willing and able to come up with suitable extracts from letters / postcards home.

Mike

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks for posting this Alan,

Very moving.

Chris