• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

GALLIPOLI MAYBE

Started by Ross Debenham, November 08, 2020, 11:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach a scan of the reverse of a Egyptian postcard of the Sphinx that I believe going on the date may have been sent from Gallipoli. I believe that the Field Post Office 6, although it is very difficult to make out. It was censored using censor marker number 3257. Posted on 11 June, 1915, and interestingly redirected from Bathurst, a large outback town west of Sydney, to Turramurra, a leafy suburb of Sydney. Can anyone enlighten me if this would have been sent from Gallipoli, or was actually still in Egypt

Alan Baker

I have not as yet come across any record in AK's notes relating to the CM No

However, Daniel records this number as being used by 1/4 E Lancs Regt, with FPO126, i.e. 126 Brigade, 42nd Division. Proud records this brigade was at Cape Helles from 9th May 1915 until 26th December that year.

Hope this helps

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Ross

The cancel date is 11 June 16, Not 1915. Frank Daniel records this Type 3 censor used by 54th Australian Brigade, Left Egypt for France 18 June 1916.

If you can see a '6' cancel may be FPO Y 6 Have corrected the date,  Behind Alan for new glasses.

Trust this helps

Chris

Alan Baker

Good spot. I was on the wrong page of Daniel (need new glasses?)

Peter Harvey

I expanded the image as attached - would still struggle to say which FPO?

Peter

Michael Dobbs

I would have to agree with Peter Harvey - the gap may look big enough for two characters, but I cannot make out a single one.

Mike

Ross Debenham