• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Cmmdr CH Rolliston in WWI

Started by Tony Walker, December 15, 2020, 09:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Emboldened by your recent responses to my enquiry, can anyone add to this cover. 

I'll tell you what I know, but my main question is : Did Rolliston serve in the RN in WWI?.  And if so in what, where, when etc.

I have him down as retiring from the Navy in 1928, so he could well have served in WWI.  He was recalled in 1939 and appointed to HMS Resource. I have a note, probably from Frank S that he was still shown on the Navy List in 1944.

The cover was sent and censored by Commander CH Rolliston.  There is no date on the cover, however the 10m British Forces stamp was issued in December 1939 and withdrawn in April 1941.  This suggests the letter was probably mailed during 1940. The cancellations are Egyptian Rhetta cancels and were normally used on British Forces stamps and should have been placed on the reverse of the envelope as agreed with the Egyptian Government.

The oval censor mark is naval and was used at any Egyptian port or shore base where the RN was present.  There are different numbers known, Daynes records this mark under Type N451

WWII is not my province, but if he was in WWI then this would suit me just fine

Frank Schofield

Tony

Lieut CH Rolliston

Aug 1914 On HMS Foxhound appt 16 Aug 1913

2 Jan 1915 appt HMS  Collingwood, remained on her for rest of the war

2 Jan 1918 promoted to Lt/Commander

Frank

Tony Walker

Thanks Frank - spot on, Rolliston qualifies for WWI !

I have Collingwood covers for his time on the ship, and a couple for Foxhound, but not when he was on board during 1914, which was only for a few months anyway

Cheers
Tony