• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Military Mail Arrangements in Napoleonic Conflicts

Started by Alex Graham, January 19, 2021, 01:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Graham

Dear All,

Apologies for any "Chatroom Faux Pas", this is my maiden message!

I've read the Netherlands and Iberian Peninsular sections in "Postmen At War" book, but would be grateful for the knowledge of more established members on this subject please.

Due to my Son joining a re-enactment group, I'm now a somewhat reluctant recruit also, and would like to add aspects of Military Postal History to their displlays.

Thanks in advance.

Alex. Graham 

Tony Walker

Hi Graham

Cannot help with your query I'm afraid, just a note to welcome you to the Forum.  It's an informal Forum so don't worry about using it.

Cheers
Tony

Alex Graham

Thanks Tony.

Some I.T. and I aren't natural allies, now I'm having to learn MS Teams for the home schooling!! :)

Alan Baker

Is this something that John Cowlin might be able to answer? I seem to remember this is his kind of field. Not sure he visits the Forum though

Alex Graham

Thanks Alan.
I'll try to contact him.

Regards,

Alex.

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alex

Welcome to the Forum

Hopefully John Cowlin will be able to assist you.

Hopefully if you pick up suitable material it may grow into a Journal Article.

Chris

Colin Tabeart

Hello Alex, Sorry this is a bit late. I have written a book on the British Mail Packets during 1793-1815, which details the mails to and from Europe, the Peninsular (Wellington etc), N America, W INdies, S America, the Mediterranean etc. I have a few copies left - e mail me for full details if interested, colintabeart@btinternet.com

Alex Graham

Hi Colin.
I've been looking through the FPHS updates that Mike sends out, as I'm sure I remember an "advert" for your book in correspondence.

If I've got the right one, it has a three or four- masted ship on the front cover??

This may be good eventually for me, but my main concern is the inland delivery system. Which I'm making a little progress with albeit slowly.

I've got an overview of the routes used, i.e. Lisbon, Pasages, San Sebastian and Bordeux, but if your book covers Thomas Reynolds and the Sergeant Postmasters I'd be interested.

Hope to see you at the meeting tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me of this!

Alex.

Colin Tabeart

Hello Alex,
Too many masts - it has two - most of the packets were two-masted brigs. As far as military mail was concerned I am pretty certain that Wellington would have had couriers at Lisbon, or wherever the packet arrival port was, to bring his mail and that for his troops, by fastest means and not rely on local postal systems. But I have not researched the inland delivery system in Portugal/Spain after the packets arrived from Falmouth. Would be interested to learn of any info you may have - perhaps via an article for the Journal?
Best wishes, Colin

Alex Graham

Thanks Colin.

I'm making some progress, but may well come back to you re the book in the future.

I'm just amazed by all the different aspects of this interest/ hobby.

I may summon up some courage to do a small display as such for one of our zoom meetings, this will be quite a big step up for me, both Postal and Zoom wise! :).

Maybe then I could look at doing an article for the journal.

Thanks again re the book,

Alex.