• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Special Post Card

Started by Chris Grimshaw, January 26, 2021, 03:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Well Team,  This one I'll suggest will be 'Puzzle of the Month'

Scans show a Special Post Card, for the Indian Expeditionary Force, BOMBAY.

A stamp has been removed taking most of the cancel with it, I make out, AMBAGRAON, I think,  Second cancel is R.M>S. dated 30 June 1915.

Written in a Native script.  Not sure if scan of reverse is the right way up.  As evident repaired and fragile. 

Re-discovered in material which I've had in a box since the George Crabb auction over 20 years ago.  I obtained a lot of his Salonika and Dardanelles / Black Sea material so wonder if there's a connection.

Checking the scan I spot a Hand-stamp in Red on the line marked Unit. 56 ?????????

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

The red cachet looks like 56 ?? RIFLES  F F or E F

Mike

Neil Williams

I read that as 56th Rifles, Frontier Force. The 56th (Punjabi) Rifles, Frontier Force, served 1915 in Egypt and Aden. Subsequently in Mespot then Palestine.

There seems to be a number of Ambagraon(s) in India (as was). The largest is in Orissa State, which does not fit well with the theoretical make-up of this battalion. Looking at that standard Indian postal datestamp, it's likely the first letter of the place name is missing. I need to find out how to do a 'fuzzy search' in Google!

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Mike/ Neil

Looking closely 56 Rifles F F it is.

Cheers

Chris