• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

TRESOR ET POSTES 511 Itea

Started by Chris Grimshaw, January 29, 2021, 02:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Scan shows a PPC , View of Itea in Greece which was the entry port from Taranto on the Overland Route.  Much has been written on British use of the route and material isn't uncommon.  However I cannot recollect seeing anything concerning the French.

TRESOR ET POSTES SP 511 was located at Itea.  Card is dated 2 September 1917.  If they followed the British Route it would have been Lorry over the mountains to Bralo then rail to Salonika where ever their main camp was located.  The British APO System had an Office at both Itea & Bralo but I know of no record for a French SP at Bralo.

First connection with the French for this route.

Chris

Robert Hurst

Chris,

Bertrand Sinais in his "Catalogue des Oblitérations Militaires Françaises 1900-1985" (published in 1987) lists the Tresor et Postes 511 used at Itea (up to and including May 1919), cancel 511A at Bralo (up to 15 Feb 1919), 511B at Raguse (up to 26 March 1919) and 511C at Scutari (until the end of May 1919). Hope this is of interest / help.

Robert

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Robert.

Brilliant.  A publication I have never studied. 

Does it list all the A etc numbers for The Army of the East, ?  Listing I have is 501 to 517, (For Salonika etc.) I know 528 is Smyrna post war.  I have nothing on the sub numbers.  Not my main collection but bringing all this material together and a uniform write up which stemmed from another project.  Allied Censorship of Civilian mails from this area.

Chris

Robert Hurst

Chris

The book does list the sub numbers both during and after WW1 for the Army of the Orient. I purchased the book a year or so ago as I did not know much about the French military Post Offices and thought it would be a useful reference in my library. It is written in French and is basically is a listing with some added notes, with very short introductory notes before each section. There is an indication of value given but these are from 1986/7, so today they are only indicative of relative scarcity.

Robert