• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Bomb/Shell Damage in Belgrade 1919

Started by Frank Schofield, January 31, 2021, 07:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

On a colourful ppc of bomb / shell damage in Belgrade. A/Cpl H Dann of the Royal Engineers, writes hardly found time to write this"
Postmarked Army Post Office L.16, dated 6 weeks before  Proud's recorded date of use
L16 was the last of the 'L' series sent out to Italy in December 1917 and was held at GHQ Italy until requested in 1919

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Frank

A very nice item, always good when we can extend the recorded dates of usage. Only the second example of censor 7 / 510 I record.  I have an example on a PPC datelined 10 September 1919 but I presume posted under cover.

Interesting that by then censor hand-stamp is very dirty / distorted as though not cleaned regularly.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

I have 5 recordings of 7/510. One from Belgrade postmarked 22nd March 1919 at APO L.14 (Fiume) before the L.16 datestamp arrived
then four postmarked L.16 incl two letters from a nurse at Unit 6 Hospital at Nish, just south of Belgrade

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

The two letters you mention sound very interesting,  any chance of a sight of them.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

Scanner playing silly ' B's at the moment will try again ASAP

Frank

Alan Baker

From AK's ledger -

L14 - 27/03/1919
L16 - 08/1919

Also one with no postmark, "Belgrade 10/09/1919" - presumably a picture pc

Frank Schofield

Alan

I record in my collection

L14  ERD 22.3.19  LRD  26.10.19

L16  ERD 30.5.19  LRD 3.10.19  (Proud shows LRD  27.10.19)

Frank

Frank Schofield

Chris

Hopefully scanner sorted, herewith as requested copy of the first letter from Nish.

Will post the second next Sunday

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

A very good letter and a great looking cover.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

As promised herewith the second letter from Nish

Dorothy Minnie Newhall served with The French Red Cross, before the British Red Cross, one of the letters confirms she was in Serbia, "your room is still empty"

Her address at 108 Croydon Road, Beckenham, is about five minutes' walk from the Hall, where our local stamp fair has been held for 40 years (except the last 12 months, of course)

Frank

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Frank

A Brilliant letter,  thanks for sharing.

Chris