• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

PASSED BY CENSOR

Started by Chris Grimshaw, February 07, 2021, 03:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

One for our WWI  Maritime experts, 

Straight Line PASSED BY CENSOR  44 mm x 2.5 mm

I looked at  Gould 2nd Edition, Not certain but possibly 4C 378

Chris

webmaster

[color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][font=arial][size=small][b]Posted on behalf of Tony Walker[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][font=arial][size=small]I have a cover with Gould's 4C 378 censor mark, or at least what I have assumed it to be.  All the measurements work out exactly including the P-B and P-C.  However my mark has a prominent colon immediately after the R of CENSOR which neither your cover or the illustration in Gould seem to show.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][font=arial][size=small]I'll attach a scan.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][font=arial][size=small]This censor mark is attributed to HMS Calliope.  Maybe Michael can add a comment[/size][/font][/color]

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Tony / Bob

Have had a second look at my example,  if you take the scan up to 200% you will see what looks like a curved blob extending out from the foot of 'R' in CENSOR similar to your example which shows two marks.

Chris

Michael Gould

This is Calliope. I suspect the colon may be the holder. Tony's frank must be the captain Charles E Le Mesurier. There are three possible for Chris's. I think the most likely is Lt James B Milne.  Michael.