• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

PPC from Southern Russia 1919

Started by Chris Grimshaw, February 11, 2021, 03:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Scan shows a PPC of Constantinople to Paris,  Postage 1 d which was correct for the civilian Post Card Rate.  Cancelled British Army APO Constantinople  11 Dec 19

Card is written in French,

Datelined Novosibirsk (Russia) 27 Nov 19

"My Dear Friend, Very far away from you, I think of you with much affection. I have been here about a month and I don't know yet how long I will have to stay, probably many long months.  I will be commuting between Rostov - T ??????????? Novosibirsk    I will be seeing ????? soon.  Many worries and problems but also a very interesting place to live in, in this great transition period.  Health is good so far.  I hope to see you again in Paris in May (?) Till then I will be seeing a lot.. in more ways than one.  A thousand assurances of my friendship.  Albert Wirarin." 

There was a British Military Post Office open here at this time and probably also a French Military office.  However this card has been sent / carried back to Constantinople where cancelled 14 days after writing.

Translation was carried out by a friend many years ago who couldn't make all the words out.  Can anyone fill the gaps.

Chris

Howard Weinert

Chris,

The town is Novorossiisk, not Novosibirsk. Novorossiisk is a port on the eastern coast of the Black Sea. The other towns mentioned are Rostov and Taganrog.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Howard

I get the feeling he's a trader / businessman of some kind.

Chris